Monday 31 March 2014

Japanese Takoyaki

Yo!! Firstly I want to start off by saying sorry for the lateee post. I told you guys that I will post the recipes on last Fri/ Sat because I was working I didn't get time to write it up. This recipe is originally a Japanese street food dish which is very delicious for snacking. Takoyaki basically means Tako: Octopus and Yaki means fried so fried octopus balls. I tried making takoyaki once before but it didn't turn out good so I thought of making it again for my second try on my Baba (Dad) birthday. This recipe is not originally mine I was inspired to make this because of other skillful Japanese chef/other YouTubers who uploaded their videos.
Making this for the first time wouldn't be that easy because I failed the first time as well so try making it again and again until you succeed (only if u like it ofcourse haha!!) So lets get started!!

Utensils 
  •  The Takoyaki Maker ( Since I couldn't find it anywhere where I live I bought the Cake Pop Machine which works fine as well (I bought mines from Argos) )
  • A Large Bowl 
  • Spatula (Something to mix it with)
Ingredients

For the Batter 
  • Flour (Depends on how much you are planning on making because batter needs to be really thin consistency so you will be able to make more even from less flour)   
  • Salt to taste
  • Eggs ( If you have 2 cups of flour try putting 2 eggs ) 
  • Cold Water 
Toppings 
  • Chorizo, Sausage, Kimchi, Cheese (The traditional Takoyaki is made from the octopus but since my Mami (Mom) refused to eat octopus I had to use this toppings instead )
  • Spring onions (Thinely Sliced)
  • Pickled Ginger ------> (I didn't use this since I didn't have any)
  • Akedama (Tempura Crispy fried Batter) -----> Optional but I didn't use it on mines too :'(
For Garnish 
  • Mayonnaise 
  • Seaweed Flakes 
  • Bonito Flakes (Small fish flakes I didn't have it so didn't use it)
To make the Batter
  • Pour the flour onto a large bowl 
  • Add the amount of salt that you prefer
  • Put eggs and try to mix the batter untill it thickens (I know it will turn out lumpy but don't worry once you pour the water on it lumps will break)
  • Pour the water little by little so you can get rid of any big lumps. (The consistency should be wateryy and thin ) 
Turn on the Cake pop machine and put some oil on it and leave it to get really really hot (Because when you pour in the batter it should sizzllee ^^. 

Making the Takoyaki Balls
  • When the Cake Pop Machine is hot enough pour the batter on it but don't pour it in till it covers the holes only pour it to half.
  • This is the point when you add the filling in in this case don't hesitate to try our any flavours that you prefer. 
  • Add the thinly sliced pickled ginger, akedama crumbs and the spring onions. 
  • Now its time to cover the hole with rest of the batter. 
  • Once the batter hardened a little bit now turn your takoyaki to 90°. If the ball looks only half filled don't worry add a bit of wet batter. 
  • Repeat the process till it has nice round shape.
  • As the cake pop machine comes with the upper cover lid try covering it for few minutes I found out that it will make the outside takoyaki more crispier. 
  • Repeat the rest with different toping as now it done. 
Garnish 
  • Arrange the Takoyaki nicely onto a plate
  • Drizzle the mayonnaise in a zig zag or straight line
  • Put the seaweed flakes 
  • If you have bonito flakes now it is time to sprinkle it but don't worry if you do not have it it will still be tasty.
  • I also used some (Vietnamese Hot Sauce )
~~~~~~~ENJOY~~~~~~~~





Other Recipes are on it's way Sorry I wanted to post it now but my Sister's got the rest of the pictures on her Phone so when she will send it to me I will post it right away. Other recipes includes (Korean Fried Chicken, Aludam, Fried Squid, Samosa) !!
~~~~~HAPPY COOKING~~~~~

*Zeny
















No comments:

Post a Comment